"Ohana means family. Family means no body gets left behind, or forgotten."
"This is my family... It is little, and broken, but still good."

Saturday, November 14, 2015

The story of Eva

I figure it's about time I tell the story of how Eva came to be with our family. 
Mr. Barcenas was bugging me and bugging me and bugging me about getting a second dog. I was about five months pregnant at the time, and thought adding a second dog to our family was the stupidest idea ever. Seriously- why have two big dogs to walk when I was going to have a baby soon??? I can't walk two large dogs and a stroller- that's just crazy. 
Well, he convinced me to just go "look." Not a good idea. If you don't want to get a dog, don't go looking at the shelter! We found a greyhound lab mix who was soooo sweet and shy. We really liked her, so we went to the counter to see if we could adopt her, but we were told she was being transferred to a different shelter because someone wanted her over there. So sad! So we start heading home. When I think "oh! I saw a cute puppy on an animal sale page on Facebook!" You see, by this time I now wanted a puppy, too. They're just too cute to resist! This was the post I saw


It continued on to say that they would be dropping the puppy off at the animal shelter if they couldn't find a new home for it. I didn't want that to happen to her! Just look at her sweat face! So I called the number, and we went to the address- and here's a funny story- it was my old Sonic manager who was selling her! I find it funny, because I hadn't worked there for over a year. 



So we brought her home on October 19, 2014. And she's been with us since, despite my desires to get rid of her.
I know what you're thinking, "no! She can't have wanted to get rid of her! She posts about how much she loves that dog too much!" I know, I know, it's hard to believe. But I seriously thought that she needed to be rehomed. I talked to my family, and they thought she needed to be rehomed. She isn't really all that easy to train. WallE picked up tricks super fast, and he's nice- he knows not to step on people or to run them over. He's polite when it comes to begging and waiting. Eva is not. She's the opposite. She does not realize how big she is. She begs by putting her face or paw into your food, she ran into me once and dislocated my knee, she will jump up to your hand if your holding a treat, and she is overly kissy. It's like she has some sort of weird obsession where everything has to be in her mouth and touched by her tongue all the time. It's bad. It's still bad- better than before, but still bad. 
I had days where I would just cry and cry, because it was so hard handling the two dogs by myself while Mr. Barcenas was at work. He would come home, and I would cry to him about how I didn't want to give her away, but we needed to- I just couldn't do it. She was cute, and we had made the commitment to care for her the rest of her life, but I just couldn't do it. And he wouldn't let me get rid of her. And I am so happy he didn't.
I love this stupid dog so much. I honestly have no idea where I would be without her. She is the best cuddler. WallE doesn't cuddle much. The only times he ever has was when he got neutered, and when we came home from the hospital without Lilly.
He just laid his head on my stomach and looked sad (please ignore my swollen post-delivery feet)



But Eva, oh Eva. I didn't fall head over heals for her until a few weeks after Lilly had passed. Eva went to stay with a friend for a couple weeks while I was recovering physically- I wouldn't have been able to handle her energy at the time. But when she came back, she was a cuddle butt. She sits in my lap and loves on me. And it makes me feel so good. Like someone needs me, like there's this little (well, big) creature that depends on me and wants me to succeed. It's nice :) And it's so amazing how she can tell when I have a bad day. I get home from work, I sit on the couch, and she jumps up and lays down with me. God placed this dog in my life for a reason, and I believe I have found that reason.



No comments:

Post a Comment