"Ohana means family. Family means no body gets left behind, or forgotten."
"This is my family... It is little, and broken, but still good."

Friday, October 25, 2013

I Love My Job

Have I ever talked about how much I love my job? Because I do! I love it so much :) I get to work with some awesome people, not only my co-workers, but also those who I care for. For those of you who don't know, I work for a company based out of Idaho Falls called H.A.S. It stands for Habitation Assisted Services, or something like that. I would totally give you a link to their homepage, but they are still a relatively new company and don't have one yet. But oh well! All I know is that it's a lot of fun! I get to help handicapped adults learn how to be on their own and become more independent! You're assigned one or two clients, depending on the scope of their disability, and you just work with them all day. It's 24 hour care, so there are three shifts, 7-3, 3-11, and 11-7. I always work the morning shifts, that way I have time with the Mr. when he gets off work at 7, and so I can make sure the apartment is clean when he gets home :) I work with two girls normally, who I have totally became friends with. I wonder if I'm allowed to become friends with my clients? Nooo idea.
Work is about the only place where I get to have some sort of social interaction. I may not be interacting with people who are able to understand me, or who are mentally over the age of twelve, but it's better than staying at home all day. It gets me out of the house, and it's easy. Sometimes it's like babysitting a really tall three year old. Sure they throw temper-tantrums (which can get really big), but I love seeing the smiles on their faces when they get really excited about something. 
Disabled people are some of the sweetest souls you will ever meet. They are simple, pretty darn easy to understand, and it's like the world can't get to them. It's great! We have a young gentleman who is mentally at about age three or four (his papers say he's five, but the rest of the staff and I believe he is a bit younger) and he never really wants to do anything with anyone. His roommate, on the other hand, is maybe a young teenager? I don't know exactly, I haven't worked with him that much. Annnnnywaaaaays, one day I was trying to get the first guy to take a bath, and he absolutely REFUSED. I tried everything I could to get him to (other than physically forcing him to)! Then, the second guy realizes that I need some help, so he goes up to the first one and asks "______, don't you think you need to take a bath? Please? For me?" Welp, that did it! My client then decided to take a bath :) I thought it was pretty great. 

No comments:

Post a Comment